Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
"The purpose of an education is to replace an empty mind with an open one."
– Malcolm Forbes
The Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology program offers four years of coursework in Psychology (three years for Advanced Standing students). The curriculum includes core, clinical, and research courses. The core curriculum, emphasized in the first two years, provides a foundation for the clinical and research courses, supporting the student’s evolving relationship to professional practice.
The Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology is designed to meet the educational requirements for the state of California Psychologist license. The Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology also meets the educational requirements for the state of California MFT license (Board of Behavioral Sciences, Senate Bill 33, Section 4980.36, Business and Professions Code), and the state of California Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor (LPCC), (Senate Bill 788, Section 4999.33, Business and Professions Code), provided that fieldwork is done in accordance with BBS requirements.
- Students who enter with a Bachelor's degree must complete four years (130 credits) of coursework. Students who enter the program’s second year with a Master's degree (Advanced Standing) must complete three years (98 credits) of coursework. Supervised fieldwork (750 hours) and clinical case study units are included in these unit totals.
- Students entering with a Bachelor's degree are required to pass the Master's in Psychology written and oral comprehensive examinations after completing two years of coursework.
- After completing doctoral coursework, students must pass written and oral comprehensive examinations. The completion of an original Clinical Case Study is required.
- Sixty hours of personal therapy in an individual, couple, family, or group setting are required. In some cases, this experience may be obtained prior to enrollment in Meridian’s graduate program.
- Students have a maximum of six years after ending coursework with their cohort to complete the Psy.D.
Please consult the Academic Catalog for the curriculum overview, course descriptions, and clinical licensure information relevant to the Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology.